2027 School Closure Information
THIS PAGE WILL PROVIDE INFORMATION AND UPDATES ON THE RECOMMENDED CLOSURE OF FOUNTAIN ROCK ELEMENTARY AND HICKORY ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS IN 2027 AS WELL AS INFORMATION ON THE CONSTRUCTION OF A NEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AT 10435 DOWNSVILLE PIKE.
- Downsville Pike Site approved by State Clearinghouse and Interagency Commission on School Construction (IAC)
- Meeting with WCPS Staff @ Hickory Elementary
- Meeting with WCPS Staff @ Fountain Rock Elementary
- Community Meeting Information Session @ Springfield Middle
All correspondence was provided to the WCBOE
- Public Hearing – held at Williamsport High, 6PM*
Community members who would like to speak are encouraged, but not required,
to sign up in advance. Attendees can also sign up to speak at the hearings.
To sign-up to speak – you may send us an email, fill out an online form, or call 301-766-2971.
*Individuals wishing to speak should arrive at the hearing no later than 7:00 p.m.
- Washington County Board of Education Vote at the Public Business Meeting
The Washington County Board of Education approved the closure of Fountain Rock and Hickory Elementary Schools upon the successful construction completion and opening of "Downsville Pike" Elementary School.
The motion was carried on a 6-0 vote. Following the approval, the Board of Education issued a written Decision and Order to close both schools.
The Board's discussion and vote can be found on the WCPS YouTube channel.
- Proposed Closing of Hickory Elementary and Fountain Rock Elementary
If community members have questions regarding the public hearings,
email or call the Public Information Office at 301-766-2809.