Skip to main content

Special Permission Applications Being Accepted through May 1 for 2018-2019

Posted February 1, 2018

HAGERSTOWN, MD (February 1, 2018) – Special Permission applications for the 2018-2019 school year will be accepted by Washington County Public Schools (WCPS) through May 1, 2018. Under Board of Education Regulation JC-R, a student may be approved to attend a school outside his or her attendance area if the request meets specific criteria and there is available student capacity at the requested school.  Special Permission Applications for the 2018-2019 school year are now available in schools, from the Office of Student Services or can be downloaded from the WCPS website: The application for Special Permission based on childcare is also available:

Please note that the original Special Permission application, once completed, must be returned to the school to which a family is requesting special permission to attend.  The principal of the school receiving the application will render a recommendation by May 31, 2018. The principal will then forward the application, including his/her recommendation, to the Supervisor of Student Services, who will communicate a decision in writing to the family making a special permission request.

Adherence to the time frame outlined in the regulation is critical to ensure that schools are appropriately staffed and that class sizes are maintained at reasonable levels. As such, WCPS will strictly adhere to the policy’s established time frame for submission of Special Permission applications. Applications received after the May 1 deadline will not be accepted unless a family’s circumstances have changed after the established time frame. Special Permission applications are not required for students attending academies and magnet school programs.

As listed on the back of the Special Permission application, the reasons special permission may be granted include childcare; relocation within Washington County during the school year; student is within year of completion of elementary or middle school, or within two years of high school completion; the need for a specific academic or special program or course, which is not available in the home school attendance area; or, a significant hardship is deemed to exist by the principal or Supervisor of Student Services. When special permission is granted, transportation is the responsibility of the parent or guardian.

For more information, call 301-766-2897.