Fall Academic Testing
Posted September 9, 2021
Many WCPS students will begin taking state assessments in the coming days. These are the tests students would have taken last spring. The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) postponed spring testing until this fall.
WCPS schools will administer these tests at various times between September 13 and October 1, 2021. Schools will inform students of specific testing dates. Tests are shortened in the interest of providing faster feedback to teachers and to allow educators to spend minimal time away from instruction.
WCPS is committed to accelerating learning for all students as we move forward through the COVID-19 pandemic. These assessments are one strategy used to identify specific student needs and to help teachers determine how to best support students in learning. These results are used in consideration with other class work and tests.
Kindergarten students will take the Kindergarten Readiness Assessment (KRA).
All other students in the following grades will complete the Maryland Comprehensive Assessment Program (MCAP), which includes English Language Arts (ELA) / Math / Maryland Integrated Science Assessment (MISA):
- Grade 4 will take ELA03 and Math03
- Grade 5 will take ELA04 and Math04
- Grade 6 will take ELA05, Math05, and MISA05
- Grade 7 will take ELA06 and Math06
- Grade 8 will take ELA07 and Math07
- Grade 9 will take ELA08, Math08 or Algebra I, and MISA08
- High school students will participate in the assessment for the assessed courses for which they received credit in 2020-2021 (Algebra I, ELA10, and/or HS-MISA)
Parents/guardians will receive their child’s MCAP results later this fall when a print-out is sent home with students.