The WCPS Special Education Parent Portal provides a variety of resources to support parents and caregivers of children with special needs. Distance learning resources are also included.
The WCPS Staff Special Education Portal provides a variety of resources for staff to coordinate and plan for student success. You must have WCPS staff credentials to access.
We Believe That:
- Free and appropriate educational program in the Least Restrictive Environment should be provided to all children and youth with disabilities.
- Programs for children with disabilities should be planned and implemented as an integral part of programs for nondisabled students.
- Education should provide an equal opportunity for all students to develop as individuals and experience success in order to become productive members of the community.
- Early intervention is a necessary part of an effective delivery system.
- In order to provide effective educational programs and services to children and youth with educational disabilities, it is essential that personnel be qualified and required to advance their skills by participating in ongoing staff development.
- Collaborative efforts and communication with agencies, parents, school teams and community groups are necessary to ensure quality and consistency of services to children with disabilities.
- Accountability is the foundation inherent to quality services for children with disabilities.
- Effective teaching benefits all children.
- It is important to have the expectation that all children can learn.
- Teachers have a significant impact on a child’s whole life.
- Collaboration between regular education and special education staff is a crucial factor in providing effective programs.
- Planning should include considerations regarding lifelong goals and transitioning into the community.