Academy of Finance
Preparing students today for a career tomorrow.
What is the Academy of Finance?
Established nationally in 1982, the Academy of Finance introduces students to the broad career opportunities in the financial services industry and, in the process, equips them to make sound choices for the future. A member program of the National Academy Foundation, the Academy of finance operates as a “school within a school” and is located at Williamsport High School.
Academy of Finance offers studies in:
- Principles and Applications of Finance
- Principles of Accounting and Financial Reporting
- Financial Services
- Principles of Management OR Legal Environment of Business taken at Hagerstown Community College
How do Academy of Finance students benefit?
By providing a new context for learning, the Academy helps build the motivation, confidence, and sense of personal worth that will lead students of all backgrounds to success. The Academy serves students of all abilities; the program has proven particularly effective for those who are not achieving their full potential.
Beyond building self-esteem, the Academy offers quantifiable benefits:
- Nearly 100% of Academy students graduate from high school.
- More than four out of five graduates go on to two- or four-year colleges.
- Graduates acquire the problem-solving and team-work skills necessary to succeed in higher education and beyond.
- Graduates are more prepared for employment and have more positive outcomes.
The Academy of Finance program also features:
- Eight-week paid internships at banks, brokerage houses, financial exchanges, insurance companies, accounting firms—even government agencies.
- A way for students to earn college credits while in high school—and the opportunity to attend conferences, trade shows, and college fairs in addition to visiting a variety of finance related businesses.
- Enhanced opportunities for employment after graduation.
The national alumni network provides graduates with professional and social networking experiences, access to scholarships, job prospects, and mentoring and service opportunities. Many alumni continue to work in the industry during college and a significant number return to the financial services industry after graduation.
Academy of Finance Board Members
- Heath Wilcox, Principal
- Krista Downs, Guidance Counselor
- Nicole Ciccarelli, Elective Teacher
- Al Martin
- Lori Spessard, HCC
- Patty Kuehl, M and T Bank
- Ron Brezler, United Bank
For more information about the Academy of Finance at Williamsport High School, please contact Mrs. Ciccarelli.