Black-Eyed Susan Award
What is the Black-Eyed Susan Book Award?
The Black-Eyed Susan Book Award is a readers' choice award honoring outstanding books. Winners are chosen annually by students throughout the state of Maryland.
Each year since 1992 the Black-Eyed Susan Book Award has been given to one book in each of several grade-level categories. The first high school voting took place in the 1999-2000 school year.
After reading at least 3 of the nominated books, a student is eligible to vote for his/her favorite book. The Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Committee tallies the votes collected from across the state to determine the winner in each grade-level category.
The winning authors and/or illustrators receive a pewter plate engraved with the year and the Black-Eyed Susan Book Award logo.
Authors, illustrators and publishers recognize the Black-Eyed Susan Book Award as an honor bestowed by Maryland students.
Help select the book that will receive the Black-Eyed Susan Award for high school!
How you can help select the winner
Register to vote at the BISFA library.
Read at least 3 of the nominated books.
Cast your vote in the BISFA library in April.
Read Black-Eyed Susan nominated books and YOU can be a winner!
Last year, four $50 Valley Mall gift cards were awarded. We hope to continue our contest this year.
Here's how it works:The more nominated books you read, the greater your chance of winning.
- Students must read 3 nominees to be entered in the drawing. If you read the 3 book minimum your name will go in the hat 1 time.
- Students who read 4 - 10 nominees will receive one entry for each book read. For example, if you read 7 books your name will go in the hat 7 times.
- Students who read all 10 nominees will receive five bonus entries. If you read all 10 books your name will go in the hat 15 times.
- You must vote to be eligible to win.
- Four winners will be drawn in April at the close of voting. You may only win one gift card.
NEW! EARN EXTRA CHANCES TO WIN
- Check out and read a nominated title in its ebook format and receive 2 bonus entries.
- After reading a nominated title, rate and review it in the BISFA catalog and receive 2 bonus entries.
See Mr. Williams for more info.