Tech High Bulletin
Posted October 6, 2017
Friday, October 06, 2017 – A-Day
The Tech High Pride Club-GSA will be selling tickets to the second annual Tech High Halloween Party during all three lunch shifts through Tuesday, October 24th. The Halloween Party is on Thursday, October 26, from 6 to 8, with a costume contest at 7 PM. Prizes, which are sponsored by the Hagerstown Hopes organization, will be awarded in various categories. Tickets cost $5 for singles and $7 for couples. Tech High students may bring a guest from another school with prior permission and the completion of the standards “WCTHS” guest form. For more information, see Ms. Mowen, Ms. Moore-Porter, President Gordon Young, or any Pride Club member.
Kids Helping Kids Food Drive - This is a competition between our Junior and Senior Class. The class donating the most food items will be awarded ‘the class with the most spirit' during our Homecoming Dance November 11th. Please place all food in the designated boxes in the cafeteria, or you may bring them to Mrs. Nichols room, Level I Cosmetology. The food drive will run from October 2nd to the 27th. Students donating 20 or more food items, will be entered into a drawing to win 2 tickets for the Homecoming Dance. Please make sure to take your items to Ms. Nichols room so that you can get your name in the drawing!
Fields of Faith – One Day, One Message, One Stand. All are invited for a night of fellowship at Williamsport High School (stadium field) on October 11th from 7:00-8:00pm. Guest speaker will be Riley Lazich.
Save the date! This year’s Homecoming Dance will be held on Saturday, November 11th from 8-12p.m. More information to come!
The Tech High Pride Club-Gay Straight Alliance meets on Thursday after school in Mrs. Mowen’s room from 3:05 to 4:00. For more information, ask Mrs. Mowen, Mrs. Moore-Porter, President Gordon Young, or any Pride Club member. Please join us!
You may order a yearbook online at yearbookforever.com or pickup an order form on the cart outside of Library Media Center.
2016 – 2017 Yearbook – on sale for $10. We have a few DAMAGED yearbooks remaining from last year. If you would like one, please bring $10.00 cash to Mrs. Higy for a yearbook.
Employment Opportunity: Cracker Barrel of Hagerstown is hiring: Cooks, Dishwashers, Servers, Cahiers and Retail Sales. Apply in person or visit www.crackerbarrel.com.
Are you interested in a career in: National Security, Public Safety, Emergency Services???? If so, please plan to attend ‘Career Night’ at the Frederick County Law Enforcement Center, 110 Airport Drive East, Frederick, MD on Thursday, October 5th from 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM. Representatives and recruiters from local, state and federal agencies will attend the event. Visit http://mdsp.maryland.gov/ for more information.
Attention All National Technical Honor Society Inductees: There will be MANDATORY National Technical Honor Society practices on the following dates/times:
- Monday, October 23rd @ 1:45 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 24th @ 1:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 25th @ 1:45 p.m.
If you are concerned about a friend’s use of drugs or alcohol, Tech High has a confidential referral program called The Student Assistance Program. You can make an anonymous referral by placing your concern in a referral box that’s located in the hall outside of the counseling center. A group of teachers and staff who have been trained to handle your concerns will take it from there. No one needs to know where the concern came from. It’s a great way to help a friend who is struggling. If you ever need help or want more information, you can talk to a member of our team: Ms. Nichols (Cosmetology I), Mr. Vanorsdale (Counseling Center), Mr. Gery (Resource Room), Mrs. Kaper-Dick (SSL Office across from the main office) or Mr. Buhrman (Assistant Principal).
Attention Seniors: Your senior picture for the yearbook is due on November 10. If you did NOT get your photo taken by Myerly and Lowe, you may send the photo digitally (JPEG) to email@example.com.
- If you have served on SGA or Skills and would like to take it to the next level of participating in student government then you may be interested in applying for the State of Maryland Student Page Program. This is a great opportunity for high school students to serve in either the Maryland Senate or House of Delegates. For more information - please see Mrs. Larrick. Deadline to apply is October 13th.
- For any junior or senior student who has served in either SGA or Skills there is another great opportunity to continue your work in student government through the United States Senate Youth Program. This is a great opportunity to spend a week in Washington DC and experience your national government in action. In addition, if you are chosen you would be awarded a $10,000 college scholarship. Please see Mrs. Larrick for further information. Deadline to apply is looming very quickly.
Dates to remember:
- FAFSA - Seniors and parents/guardians are invited to Tech High on Monday, October 9, in the Computer Lab of the Media Center from 4:00 – 7:00 PM. You both should bring, Federal Income Tax return for 2016. Know your social security number and have an email account that you will use for financial aid and college/tech school information.
- College Fair – Wednesday, 10/11/17 – HCC / ARCC (gym) 6:00 – 8:00 PM. Over 120 colleges, tech schools, military and business representatives will be there to meet with you and your folks.
- Maryland College Application Campaign for Tech High will be the week of October 23 – 27. PLEASE plan to submit at least one application to any post-secondary school.
Hagerstown Community College is hosting an Open House on Saturday, October 14th from 10:00am to noon in their Student Center. This is a great opportunity to learn more about HCC, the programs they offer, take a tour of their campus and speak with their faculty.
The First Energy PSI program combines classroom learning and hands-on training leading to an Associate’s Degree and a long-lasting career in the electric utility industry. Sessions offer the opportunity to learn about the program and decide if a career as a line worker or substation electrician is the right choice. The line worker program is offered in conjunction with Blue Ridge CTC in Martinsburg, WV. An information sessions is scheduled for Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. at Blue Ridge CTC. Both, the line worker and substations programs, are offered at Pierpoint CTC in Fairmont, WV. This information session is scheduled at Pierpont CTC on Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:00 a.m. Registration to attend the sessions should be coming soon.
Student volunteers are needed to assist at HCC’s College Fair on Wednesday, October 11th from 4:30PM-8:00PM in the ARCC. Stop by Mrs. Knodle’s bulletin board to pick up a permission slip! (Slips are due Monday, Oct. 9th)
ARC “Caring Hands Gift Wrap”-The wrapping station opens Friday, Nov. 24th until Sunday, Dec. 24th at the Valley Mall in Hagerstown. Earn SSL hours wrapping gifts to benefit the American Red Cross. Register a group online at http://signup.com/go/KbJNesi For questions or issues please call 301-739-0717 ext. 201 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention Youth Hunters: Donate your deer to help hunt down hunger! Farmers & Hunters Feeding the Hungry pays the meat processing bill and gives the meat to food banks and programs that feed the needy. To donate and earn SSL hours call 301-739-3000 or email email@example.com *Ernst Country Market (Clear Spring), Holsinger’s Meat Market (Maugansville) and Sunnyland/Ray Burger’s (Williamsport) participate in this program. Call today to set up donations.
Breast Cancer Awareness-Cumberland Valley: Students needed to place/remove pink flags in the grass to support breast cancer awareness at the following locations and times:
Monday, Oct. 30th @3:30 PM at United Bank-Remove flags
Tuesday, Oct. 21st @3:30 PM at the Elks Club-Remove flags
Step ‘N Stride Walk: BCA-CV is looking for students to place and remove pink flags along the perimeter of HCC ARCC campus loop road. Students must register to volunteer and indicate which event and time slot they are available. Any questions may be answered at 301-791-5843.
Entrée – Eagle Burger w/ Vegetables
Garde Manger – Vegetable Wrap
Dessert – Cinnamon Roll Bar
Vegetarian Option – Butternut Squash Soup & Grilled Cheese w/ Tomato