Distribution of Materials Policy
Washington County Public Schools has a policy to govern the distribution of community informational materials in schools. The policy is in place for several reasons.
- Consistency throughout the system so that all stakeholders seeking distribution of materials are treated equally;
- Improved management of the process so that disruptions to the school day forstudents and staff are minimized; and
- Provides parents with access to community information materials.
Materials will be regularly sent home on the last Friday of each month that are approved but that do not meet the required deadlines can be available on community tables at schools.
Additional information is provided below so that you can better understand the various considerations that are made for determining approvals. In addition the “Annual Distribution Calendar” is posted.
Board approval of Policy KHC - Distribution and Posting...and Regulation KHC – R
Washington County Board of Education (BOE) has established a secondary website to host all BOE policies and regulations. The complete listing is available at BoardDocs, a means for WCPS stakeholders to access to meeting agendas, minutes, policies & procedures and other information about the business of Washington County Public Schools.
Here are some of the considerations that determine approval:
- Flyers from a non-profit organization, which are consistent with the goals and are not advertising for profit/fundraising will most likely be approved. The most difficult decisions relate to fundraising activities, and these are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Flyers from commercial establishments that involve the purchase of any items or advertisement of a moneymaking venture, including fund-raising, will most likely not be approved. The most difficult decisions relate to "free" events sponsored by businesses, and these are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- As a general practice, the school system supports the activities of governmental entities, such as the requests from the Washington County Recreation Department and the City of Hagerstown to communicate with families about county and city-sponsored events. Sometimes these events/activities involve commercial establishments.
- Send requests for distribution of materials to the Public Information Office mail, fax, or email: 10435 Downsville Pike, Hagerstown, MD 21741; 301-766-2857 (fax); firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the following with all requests:
- Copy of the flyer
- Contact information for the organization
- Proof of non-profit status, if applicable
- List of schools requested and/or grade levels
- The Public Information Office (PIO) will notify those requesting distribution by second Friday of the month. Appeals made me made to the Deputy Superintendent, or a designee, within five days of the notification of the denial.
- Materials should then be provided to schools one week prior to the distribution date, and counted into sets of 25, so that school staff/volunteers have sufficient time to coordinate materials for classrooms.
- Materials will be distributed the last Friday of the month at all schools.
- Any materials that do not meet the requesting deadline can be submitted to the PIO for consideration of placement on designated community tables in schools during the month.
- All materials should include the statement "This program is not affiliated in any way or sponsored by the Washington County Public Schools."
Distribution Dates & Deadlines 2017-18
- September 1
- October 6
- November 3
- December 1
- January 5
- February 2
- March 2
- April 6
- May 4
System-wide Distribution Date
- September 29
- October 27
- November 17
- December 15
- January 19
- February 23
- March 23
- April 27
- May 25
Note: There will be no June distribution date.