Tech High Bulletin
Posted September 26, 2017
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 – B-Day
Media Center will be closed today.
Attention All National Technical Honor Society Inductees:
There will be MANDATORY National Technical Honor Society practices on the following dates/times:
- Monday, October 23rd @ 1:45 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 24th @ 1:45 p.m.
- Wednesday, October 25th @ 1:45 p.m.
Come and join SIC (Seizure Inspiration Club) those who have or just want to know about seizures, all are invited! First session starts on 9/25/17 from 3:05 - 3:30pm in the Libary! If you have any questions please contact by email Pinettay@wcps.k12.md.us firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (443-955-3850).
See You At The Pole – Come join the Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA) on Wednesday, September 27th from 8:15-8:45am at the flag pole to ask that our 2017-2018 school year be a blessed one.
The Prom Committee of Tech High will be hosting its first meeting on Wednesday, September 27th at 3:00 in Mrs. Larrick's room. All are welcome to be part of this very dynamic and hard working group. If you have great decorating skills, organizational skills and love fundraising then be sure to come to this first meeting. All meetings will be held on the last Wednesday of every month.
2017 – 2018 Yearbooks are on sale NOW for $40 until September 30th. The price increases to $45 on October 1st. You may order online at yearbookforever.com or pickup an order form on cart outside of Library Media Center.
2016 – 2017 Yearbook – on sale for $10. We have a few DAMAGED yearbooks remaining from last year. If you would like one, please bring $10.00 cash to Mrs. Higy for a yearbook.
Student Assistance Program: If you are concerned about a friend’s use of drugs or alcohol, Tech High has a confidential referral program called The Student Assistance Program. You can make an anonymous referral by placing your concern in a referral box that’s located in the hall outside of the counseling center. A group of teachers and staff who have been trained to handle your concerns will take it from there. No one needs to know where the concern came from. It’s a great way to help a friend who is struggling. If you ever need help or want more information, you can talk to a member of our team: Ms. Nichols (Cosmetology I), Mr. Vanorsdale (Counseling Center), Mr. Gery (Resource Room), Mrs. Kaper-Dick (SSL Office across from the main office) or Mr. Buhrman (Assistant Principal).
Senior Yearbook Photos: Your senior picture for the yearbook is due on November 10. If you did NOT get your photo taken by Myerly and Lowe, you may send the photo digitally (JPEG) to email@example.com.
- If you have served on SGA or Skills and would like to take it to the next level of participating in student government then you may be interested in applying for the State of Maryland Student Page Program. This is a great opportunity for high school students to serve in either the Maryland Senate or House of Delegates. For more information - please see Mrs. Larrick. Deadline to apply is October 13th.
- For any junior or senior student who has served in either SGA or Skills there is another great opportunity to continue your work in student government through the United States Senate Youth Program. This is a great opportunity to spend a week in Washington DC and experience your national government in action. In addition, if you are chosen you would be awarded a $10,000 college scholarship. Please see Mrs. Larrick for further information. Deadline to apply is looming very quickly.
Kids Helping Kids Food Drive: On October 2nd, we will kick off our Kids Helping Kids Food Drive. This will be a competition between our Junior and Senior Class. The class donating the most food items will be awarded ‘the class with the most spirit' during our Homecoming Dance November 11th. Please place all food in the designated boxes in the cafeteria, or you may bring them to Mrs. Nichols room, Level I Cosmetology. The food drive will run from October 2nd to the 27th. Students donating 20 or more food items, will be entered into a drawing to win 2 tickets for the Homecoming Dance. Please make sure to take your items to Ms. Nichols room so that you can get your name in the drawing!
Save the date! This year’s Homecoming Dance will be held on Saturday, November 11th from 8-12p.m. More information to come!
The Tech High Pride Club-Gay Straight Alliance meets on Thursday after school in Mrs. Mowen’s room from 3:05 to 4:00. For more information, ask Mrs. Mowen, Mrs. Moore-Porter, President Gordon Young, or any Pride Club member. Please join us!
Dates to remember:
- FAFSA - Seniors and parents/guardians are invited to Tech High on Monday, October 9, in the Computer Lab of the Media Center from 4:00 – 7:00 PM. You both should bring, Federal Income Tax return for 2016. Know your social security number and have an email account that you will use for financial aid and college/tech school information.
- The PSAT test will be given on Wednesday, October 11. The first 100 to sign up will take the test. Sign up in Guidance.
- College Fair – Wednesday, 10/11/17 – HCC / ARCC (gym) 6:00 – 8:00 PM. Over 120 colleges, tech schools, military and business representatives will be there to meet with you and your folks.
- Maryland College Application Campaign for Tech High will be the week of October 23 – 27. PLEASE plan to submit at least one application to any post-secondary school.
- The ASVAB test will be given at Tech High on Friday, November 3, in the Computer Lab of the Media Center. There are 32 seats available. Sign up in Guidance.
- University System of Maryland at Hagerstown will have an Open House on Tuesday, October 3, 5:00 – 7:00 PM. RSVP to receive a free gift - www.usmhopenhouse2017.eventbrite.com. USMH = Coppin State, Frostburg, Salisbury, Towson, UMCP, UMBC, UMES and UMUC.
The First Energy PSI program combines classroom learning and hands-on training leading to an Associate’s Degree and a long-lasting career in the electric utility industry. Sessions offer the opportunity to learn about the program and decide if a career as a line worker or substation electrician is the right choice. The line worker program is offered in conjunction with Blue Ridge CTC in Martinsburg, WV. An information sessions is scheduled for Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 10:00 a.m. at Blue Ridge CTC. Both, the line worker and substations programs, are offered at Pierpoint CTC in Fairmont, WV. This information session is scheduled at Pierpont CTC on Saturday, November 11, 2017 10:00 a.m. Registration to attend the sessions should be coming soon.
Attention Youth Hunters: Donate your deer to help hunt down hunger! Farmers & Hunters Feeding the Hungry pays the meat processing bill and gives the meat to food banks and programs that feed the needy. To donate and earn SSL hours call 301-739-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Ernst Country Market (Clear Spring), Holsinger’s Meat Market (Maugansville) and Sunnyland/Ray Burger’s (Williamsport) participate in this program. Call today to set up donations.
Breast Cancer Awareness-Cumberland Valley: Students needed to place/remove pink flags in the grass to support breast cancer awareness at the following locations and times:
- Thursday, Sept. 28th @3:30 PM at the Elks Club (11063 Robinwood Dr., Hagerstown)
- Wednesday, Oct. 4th @4:30 PM at United Bank (18750 N. Pointe Dr., Hagerstown)
- Monday, Oct. 30th @3:30 PM at United Bank-Remove flags
- Tuesday, Oct. 21st @3:30 PM at the Elks Club-Remove flags
Step ‘N Stride Walk: BCA-CV is looking for students to place and remove pink flags along the perimeter of HCC ARCC campus loop road. Students must register to volunteer and indicate which event and time slot they are available. Any questions may be answered at 301-791-5843.
Hagerstown Hispanic Festival (12 Noon-6:00 PM): Volunteers needed on Sunday, Oct. 1st at the Hagerstown Fairgrounds to assist with the Hispanic Festival. Student volunteers may begin as early as 8:30 AM! Please email Wenda Castro at email@example.com for any questions and to register. Remember to bring you SSL card along to the event!
Entrée – Sweet & Sour Chicken w/ Rice & Vegetables
Ala Carte – Grilled Cheese Panini
Dessert – Fruit Salad