Tech High Bulletin
Posted March 7, 2018
Wednesday, March 07, 2018 – A-Day
Attention Prom Committee Members: There will be a Prom Committee meeting TODAY at 3:00pm in Mrs. Larrick's classroom. Please plan to attend this meeting.
The Bippity Boppity Boutique Dress Sale will be held TODAY from 4:00-6:30pm in the Media Center.
Tech High Spirit Wear will be available to order until the day of the Spring Open House for accepted students, which is April 13th. Order forms are available on the front hallway table and checks (made out to WCTHS) or cash (in exact amount only) will be due to Mrs. Kellman by 3pm on April 13th. This will be the last order for this school year!
Tech High Maryland Black Eyed Susan (BES) Book Challenge
- Are you reading any of the books for the 2017-2018 Tech High Maryland Black Eyed Susan (BES) Book Challenge? If you are, then you know that our next drawing will be at the end of the week!
- For those who ARE reading these books, Mrs. Mowen and Mrs. Higy invite you to “Rate the Reads” on the “BES Bulletin Board” in the downstairs hallway by the English classrooms. Write your “rating” and a brief message about the book on a post it note (3 out of 5 stars! Best book ever! Vote for this to win! Read this next!), then put the note on or near the book’s cover on the bulletin board so others can see your recommendations. (If you need a post-it note, just ask Mrs. Mowen, Mrs. Higy, or any English teacher to give you one!)
- Any student who has read at least three Black-Eyed Susan books this year, please see Mrs. Higy to vote for the one you think should be awarded the Maryland Black-Eyed Susan award this year.
- If you are not yet participating in this challenge click here for the details! Why? Because Reading is to the Mind what Exercise is to the Body. And, you could win gift cards, too.
Did you know that WCTHS publishes a semi-annual literary and visual arts magazine? It’s called “Tech High Expressions: THE Magazine” – and we are gearing up to print Volume 2 featuring work from the 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 this April. If you were on the staff last year, please come to the upcoming meetings to finish this year’s publication. And JUNIORS: if you want to JOIN US and be next year’s magazine leaders. This year’s work will be an intense 6 weeks of meetings to get our magazine ready for publication. Please note the following dates – all meetings will be held on Fridays after school: March 2, March 9, and March 16.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS for Tech High Expressions: THE Magazine
Do you write poetry or short stories? Have any great essays – funny, warm, serious, or other? What about artistic photography or original art work? If you do, watch the bulletin in the coming weeks to see how you can submit your work for consideration by THE MAGAZINE editors to publish in this year’s WCTHS literary and visual arts magazine. We will only have a 2 week submission window in March, so get your materials ready. And please note – all materials must be submitted digitally, so work must be typed or scanned in order to be sent for consideration. Questions? Ask Ms. Moore-Porter, Mr. Caggiano, or Mrs. Mowen.
Yearbook Orders: You may order a yearbook online at yearbookforever.com or pickup an order form on the cart outside of Library Media Center. Yearbooks are now $50.
Student Assistance Program: If you are concerned about a friend’s use of drugs or alcohol, Tech High has a confidential referral program called the Student Assistance Program. You can make an anonymous referral by placing your concern in a referral box that’s located in the hall outside of the counseling center. A group of teachers and staff who have been trained to handle your concerns will take it from there. No one needs to know where the concern came from. It’s a great way to help a friend who is struggling. If you ever need help or want more information, you can talk to a member of our team: Ms. Nichols (Cosmetology I), Mr. Vanorsdale (Counseling Center), Mr. Gery (Resource Room), Mrs. Kaper-Dick (SSL Office across from the main office) or Mr. Buhrman (Assistant Principal).
Scholarship opportunities are posted in Naviance. Keep checking for additional opportunities. If you have any questions about the opportunities listed below, please stop by the Guidance Office.
SUNTRUST OFF TO COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIP SWEEPSTAKES – Two $500 scholarship winners will be randomly chosen every two weeks until May 14, 2018. Enter at: www.suntrust.com/offtocollege
HCC SCHOLARSHIPS – There are numerous scholarships available for students planning to attend HCC with different requirement and deadlines. Visit their website www.hagerstowncc.edu/financial-aid/types-of-aid/scholarships
COMMUNITY FOUNDATION OF WASHINGTON COUNTY – There are numerous scholarships available for students with different requirements and deadlines. Visit their website www.cfwcmd.org
SkillsUSA Scholarship Opportunities Open for Applications:
Applications for several scholarships are now open to benefit SkillsUSA students in pursuit of higher education or certification in their chosen fields. Help spread the word so SkillsUSA students can take full advantage of these opportunities:
- SkillsUSA STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Scholarship: skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/skillsusa-stem-science-technology-engineering-mathematics-scholarship/. Deadline is March 15.
- Sharon Melton Myers Memorial Scholarship: https://skillsusa.wufoo.com/forms/sharon-melton-myers-memorial-scholarship/. Deadline is April 15.
- Marsha Daves Memorial Scholarship: skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/the-marsha-daves-memorial-scholarship/. This year’s applicants must be from Region 1. Deadline for applications is May 1.
- For additional scholarship information, continually check the website at: www.skillsusa.org/membership-resources/scholarships-financial-aid/, or contact Susanne Kahler, 703-737-0616 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reminder: As stated in the Student/Parent WCTHS Handbook, “Seniors must have completed their SSL hours by April 6, 2018 in order to attend the May 2018 Prom. Juniors must have completed their SSL hours by May 1, 2018 in order to attend the May 2018 Prom.” Deadlines are quickly approaching! Please see Mrs. Knodle if you have any questions or need assistance securing a place to volunteer!
The Fairplay Volunteer Fire Department is in need of several student volunteers willing to start immediately, either during the evenings and/or weekends to help out at the Fairplay Fire Hall. The station and fire hall have multiple tasks students could assist with to earn their SSL hours, such as event help during the summer for weddings and Carnival (which is June 12th-June 16th.) Interested students should contact Mr. Eckstine at 301-573-0657! Flyers are also available on the SSL bulletin board across from the Main Office.
REACH of Washington County (140 W. Franklin. Street. Suite 300) 301-733-1231-Student volunteers are needed to serve as kitchen volunteers. Dinner is served each night at 7:00-8:30 PM. Now through April 1st, 2018. To volunteer, go online at reachofwc.org and click on the volunteer tab. The schedule for each week is available on the SSL bulletin board or online.
Walk MS (495 Premium Outlets) on Saturday, April 21st 6:00 AM-12:00 PM-Students needed to lend a hand before, during and after the event. Positions include: Set-up, registration, greeters, hand out snacks & drinks, photography and tear-down. If interested, apply online at Volunteer Match.
Horizon Goodwill Industries (14515 Pennsylvania Ave., Hagerstown) is accepting student volunteers. For more information please call 301-733-7330. Volunteer applications are available online.
Destination Imagination- student assistance needed Sat., March 17th at Williamsport High School. Contact Sheri Lynn at email@example.com to set up time/duties.
Saint Patrick’s Day Run Fest- volunteers needed Sat., March 17th from 9:30 AM-12:30 PM to help direct runners and at the finish line. T-shirts and signs will be provided to student volunteers. To assist please RSVP by Thursday, March 8th to Vivienne at 301.733.9234 at the Community Free Clinic. Flyers available on the SSL bulletin board.
Tech High Open House-Thursday, April 12th 6:30-8:00 PM. Ask your Tech teacher to sign up and assist parents and incoming WCTHS students!
Entrée – Steamer Sandwich with Vegetables
Ala Carte – Chicken Caesar Wrap
Dessert – Cinnamon Scone