Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

No. Complete one Free and Reduced-Price Meal Benefit Application for all children in your household. We cannot approve an application that is not complete. Fill out all required information.  Return the completed application to:

Food and Nutrition Services
10435 Downsville Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21740

Who can get free meals?

All children in households receiving benefits from the Food Supplement Program (FSP) or Temporary Cash Assistance (TCA), and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free meals if your household’s gross income is within the free limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Who can get reduced-price meals?

Your children can get low cost meals if your household income is within the reduced-price limits on the Federal Income Guidelines.

Household Size Year Month Week
1 $22,459 $1,872 $432
2 30,451 2,538 586
3 38,443 3,204 740
4 46.435 3,870 893
5 54.427 4,536 1,047
6 62.419 5,202 1,201
7 70,411 5,868 1,355
8 78,403 6,534 1,508
For each add'l
member, add:
$7,992 $666 $154

Can homeless, runaway, and migrant children get free meals?

Yes. If you have not been told that your child(ren) will get free school meals this year, complete the application. You may also call the Food and Nutrition Services office @ (301) 766-2890 to ask about benefits.

Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are approved for free meals? 

No, you do not need to complete an application.  Call (301) 766-2890 if you have questions.

My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out another one?

Yes. Your child’s application is only good for that school year and for the first few days of this school year. You must send in a new application unless you were notified that your child is eligible for the new school year.

I get WIC. Can my child(ren) get free meals?

Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced-price meals. Please fill out an application.

Will the information I give be checked?

Yes, your information may be checked.

If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.

What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application?

You should talk to school officials. You may also ask for a hearing by calling or writing to:

Mr. Jeff Proulx
Chief Operating Officer
10435 Downsville Pike
Hagerstown, MD 21740
(301) 766-2827

May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? 

Yes. You or your child(ren) do not have to be U.S. citizens to qualify for free or reduced-priced meals. 

Who should I include as members of my household?

Your household includes all those living as one economic unit, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends).

What if my income is not always the same?

List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only made $900, put down that you made $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes. 

We are in the military. do we include our housing allowance as income?

If you get an off-base housing allowance, it must be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income.

My spouse is deployed to a combat zone. is her combat pay counted as income?

No, if the combat pay is received in addition to his/her basic pay because of his/her deployment, and it wasn’t received before he/she was deployed, combat pay is not counted as income. 

My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

For information and referral for the Food Supplement Program, Temporary Cash Assistance, and medical programs, call 1-800-332-6347.